Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Brett and the Packers: Too Close to Comment

I cannot walk a few steps these days without being asked about the Packers and Brett Favre. I left there at the end of January, a month before Brett retired. I know all the parties involved and all the confidences that have been discussed. I know Brett's side of the story and I know the Packers side. The bottom line for me is that, despite repeated requests to comment on the situation at any and all levels, I cannot. I am just too close to the situation and will not comment at this time.

The only reaction that I have is that any bystander of this war of words: why are these parties talking to the media and not to each other? My experience with the Packers would suggest that using the media as a means of communication has been discouraged at all costs, yet it seems to be in play at the moment

Like all conflict in life, this, too, shall pass and life will go on. Brett will play or not play, for the Packers or not the Packers, and even the most breathless fans and media of this drama will move on to the next topic.

Nothing from me on this now, though. It's just too close for comfort....

1 comment:

Jim said...

Good to see you back on the web. I remember reading your Business of Sports (bizsports.com) site from about 10 years ago.

One of the articles I recall was one you wrote about Brett Favre and playing with pain in the NFL (written before you joined the Packers). It would be interesting and relevant if you could dig that one out of your archives and repost it here.